We were talking last time about jargon and the way it clutters up your writing, getting in the way of the message. But sometimes jargon is just very very funny.
I have to confess a weakness for daft language, although you do have to be careful. People might just take you seriously. Here’s my top ten :
- Multi-slacking. Multi-skilling and multi- tasking’s lazy brother.
- Wet signature. Strangely off-putting way of referring to a hand fashioned signature.
- Strategic staircase. A plan for the future as opposed to some fortuitously placed steps.
- Alpha geek. Head of tech support.
- Blame Storm. Trying to work out who’s going to get it.
- Power Loser. The person chosen in number 5.
- Idea hamster. Person least likely to be fired in a blame storm due to their constant stream of ideas.
- Long pole item. Pivotal, like the pole in an old-fashioned tent.
- Glasgow salad. Chips (one for UK readers I think.)
- Going postal. Losing it big style.