Women influence 80% of household spending. That was the stat that grabbed me this week and I can’t let it go.
As a professional woman who often finds herself selling to other women, this is something I need to think long and hard about and maybe you do too?
When it comes to pinning this down to specifics I can’t help but recall the appalling sales experience I had as a consumer at the hands of an all-male kitchen company, which I wrote about here.
If only they hadn’t treated me like a poor relation, patronized me, tried to get away with bad follow up care, and generally underestimated the power of my word of mouth!
So here you have it…
When selling to women, treat them as you want to be treated. Here are some of the ways…
- We are all people – never talk down to anyone, even if you don’t think they have purchasing power.
- Create relationships not sales – the sales will follow. Go for the long term because women will revisit websites or come into the sales room over and over again if they need to, before making a decision.
- Remember that this woman in front of you will talk to her friends about her experience with you. If it is bad she will tell more people and probably put something up on social media, so don’t say anything you don’t want repeated back. (Remember the guy who told me that I wasn’t spending enough to give him a decent profit margin?)
- Do you present as trustworthy? Women hate shifty and are really not impressed by flash.
- Trying to sell a kitchen like it’s a car is not going to work. I am a strong professional woman but I still care a hell of a lot what colour my units are. Ask your customer what she needs, what she wants and what she is not prepared to compromise on.
- Return all communication promptly – even if I am not buying today I might have a meeting with someone later in the day who is.
- Don’t treat women like a mark – we can smell “I’m going to close you before you leave the door” a mile off. Most women who work in sales have probably had the same training. They can see the “tactic” and will write you off.
- Women like the way a good purchase feels –so make it feel good – we’re looking for a combination of fine quality, good value and a great deal.
So whether you are a woman buying from a man, a man selling to a woman or a woman selling to other women – what more do you have to add ?