I ran into a friend at the weekend who has just sold her business for millions and is already starting work on the next one.
She does not use social media. Does she need to when she has been so successful without it? Is that why you gave up on twitter because you’re doing so well you can afford not to?
Here’s some reasons why you won’t be getting away with it all your life.
- The venture capitalists behind Google, Kleiner Perkins Caulfield Byers have just announced a £160 million fund for new social media start-ups. Do they think it’s going away?
- Mark Zuckerberg said this week that every industry could be revolutionised by social media.
- Your competitors are already doing it.
- Because without it your online presence is static. Using twitter to drive people to your blog which in turn sends them to your website is dynamic and engaging.
- Influencers are talking to each other online all the time, can you afford to be out of the equation or can you wait until the next business lunch – in New York?
- Generation Y will not forgive you when they come looking for you on social media and you are not there. (Gen Y may be interns now but they will be CEOs quite soon.)
What would you tell my millionaire friend about why she needs to start with social media now?